Table instrument with dial, made by the Clark Automatic Telephone Company, United States, 1903. From automatic interdepartmental telephone switchboard installed at Guy's Hospital, February, 1903.
This is one of the telephones used for internal communication between various departments at Guy's Hospital between 1903 and 1932. Rotating the dial to the number needed wound a spring inside the telephone, which drove a toothed wheel. Electrical impulses were sent for each tooth passed to an electromagnet in a selector switch, which then connected the telephone to the number called.
- Object Number:
- brass (copper, zinc alloy), metal (unknown), plastic (unidentified) and wood (unidentified)
- component - object
- Donated by The Governors of Guy's Hospital
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.