Flag from CS 'Faraday' (sunk 1941), unknown maker, British, 1923-1941.
The Cable Ship 'Faraday' was built in 1923 to replace an ageing cable ship of the same name. It was owned by Siemens Brothers, and was nearly 400 feet long. It was used to lay many submarine cables during its time in service. In 1939, it was used to recover 265 nautical miles of German submarine cable to help disrupt enemy communications. On March 25 1941, it was sunk by a German plane. Its wreck now lies under the cliffs at Hoopers Point, Pembrokeshire. This flag was rescued from the wreck as a souvenir.
- Object Number:
- visual and verbal communication
- Donated by GEC-AEI Telecommunications Limited
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.