Portion of first gutta percha insulated wire laid in London, 1848-1849

Made:
1848-1849 in London

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Portion of first gutta-percha insulated wire laid in London, with part of display baseboard and metal plate, unknown maker, London, 1848-1849.

This sample of gutta-percha insulated cable dates from around 1848-1849. It was possibly the cable laid by the Electric Telegraph Company between its Lothbury headquarters and Shoreditch (probably the railway station), a distance of approximately one mile. Though it was a good insulator, gutta percha tended to disintegrate after a few years in harsh city environments.

Details

Category:
Telecommunications
Object Number:
1923-243
Materials:
glass, gutta-percha and steel (metal)
Measurements:
cable: 217 mm 24 mm, .19 kg
plate: 29 mm x 115 mm .04 kg
type:
cable
taxonomy:
credit:
Institution of Electrical Engineers