Original cavity magnetron, developed by John Randall and Henry Boot in 1940, with spare anode block.
This is the original magnetron, which made it possible to build radar sets small enough to fit into aircraft. The earliest radar was ground-based, employing massive 100 metre masts in the celebrated 'Chain Home' system, which helped win the Battle of Britain. But, to counter submarines and night bombers, radar had to be miniaturised to be carried on aircraft. John Randall and Harry Boot's cavity magnetron was the first practical device for producing the ultra-short radio waves at adequate power to enable the system to work. Magnetrons later formed the heart of microwave ovens.
- Radio Communication
- Object Number:
- Professor Randall and Dr. Boot
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.