Imperial ELE electric typewriter with 170 character width platen, serial number ELE 1397, c. 1965
The ELE was the only electric typewriter made by British company Imperial Typewriter Company, a longstanding manufacturer of manual typewriters from 1911 until the 1970s - when the company was taken over by US electronics giant Litton Industries.
The Imperial Typewriter Company was a British manufacturer of typewriters based in Leicester, England and established by Hidalgo Moya, an American-Spanish engineer who lived in England, in 1911. In 1954, the company expanded and opened up a second factory in Hull.
In the late 1960s, the Imperial Typewriter Company succumbed to cheaper overseas production costs and began to import machines from Japan. In the 1970s, Imperial was taken over by US electronics giant Litton Industries, which also swallowed up Royal Typewriters, and after a brief revival under the brand name Imperial Business Equipment, the Imperial name disappeared completely in the 1980s.
- Printing & Writing
- Object Number:
- PVC plastic coated flex, acrylic, ink, metal, nickel or chrome plated metal, paint, plastic, possibly synthetic rubber and textile
- electric typewriters
- London Borough of Barnet. Special Tuitio
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.