Refracting seven-draw telescope made by John Marshall, Ludgate Street, London, 1685-1695.
This telescope, made for terrestrial (rather than astronomical) use was made by one of London’s leading optical instrument makers, John Marshall. His shop on Ludgate Street was known by several different names in the period, but when this telescope was made it was called: ‘The Archimedes & Spectacles’. This name would have been represented on his wooden shop sign hanging outside. Marshall was a great rival of John Yarwell, another optical instrument maker based in Ludgate Street.
- Object Number:
overall (closed): x 920 mm x , 75 mm, .825kg
- telescope - refracting
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- optical instrument
- Court, Thomas Henry