Radial Flow Parson's Turbine Engines

Made:
1894 in Heaton
Radial flow turbine engines originally fitted to the "Turbinia" in 1894 and removed in 1896 (partly sectioned).  Front Radial flow turbine engines originally fitted to the "Turbinia" in 1894 and removed in 1896 (partly sectioned).  End

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Radial flow turbine engines originally fitted to the "Turbinia" in 1894 and removed in 1896 (partly sectioned). Front
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Radial flow turbine engines originally fitted to the "Turbinia" in 1894 and removed in 1896 (partly sectioned). End
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Original radial flow Parson's turbine engines, part sectioned, originally fitted to the experimental yacht 'Turbinia' (fitted in 1894 and removed in 1896), by Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company Limited, Wallsend, Tyne and Wear, England, 1894

Charles Parsons had always been a keen sailor. In 1894 he fitted his 30-metre-long experimental yacht 'Turbinia' with a steam turbine, making it the fastest ship in the world at the time and heralding a new era of marine propulsion. Steam turbines remained commonplace in ocean liners until the 1960s, when diesel engines began to supersede them.

Details

Category:
Marine Engines
Object Number:
1927-479
Materials:
brass (copper, zinc alloy), bronze (copper, tin alloy), cast iron, complete, paint, plastic (unidentified) and steel (metal)
Measurements:
overall (estimate): 1800 mm x 1980 mm x 3400 mm, 3440 kg
type:
steam turbine
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • vehicle - transportation
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
  • turbine
credit:
Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company Limited