Photographs, a collection of approximately 725 silver gelatin glass negatives, 6 ½ x 4 ¾ to 16 x 12 ins, from the St. Rollox Locomotive Works, Glasgow, of the Caledonian Railway and London Midland & Scottish Railway, featuring locomotives, carriages, wagons places and events, c 1890-1924.
The St Rollox Collection contains silver gelatin glass negatives from the St Rollox Locomotive Works in Glasgow of the Caledonian Railway and London Midland & Scottish Railway. These photographs are of newly completed Caledonian Railway engines and rolling stock, and views of Highland, Glasgow & South Western locomotives in LMS service. There are also photographs of engines under construction at St Rollox, signalling, goods depots, Grangemouth Docks, and places served by Caledonian lines.
The Caledonian Railway Company's St Rollox works were built in 1853 and the first engine was completed there a year later. There were facilities for locomotive and rolling stock repair and construction, and the works was extended in 1870 and 1884. Engines built there included the Dunalastairs, Cardeans, and McIntosh passenger and freight locomotives. In 1923 the Caledonian was taken over by the newly formed London Midland & Scottish Railway, which ceased production at St Rollox in 1928. The works was still used for the repair of engines and rolling stock, and became British Railways main Scottish workshops, under the new name of Glasgow Works.
- Photographic Collections (Railway)
- Object Number:
- visual and verbal communication
- British Railways Board
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.