Watercolour painting of steam frigate HMS 'Glasgow' (1861) , by W.Fred Mitchell, 1903. depicting ship at sea in 1861. Blc - marked No. 2180. brc - signed W. Fred Mitchell, date 1903. This 3000-ton vessel was the fifth Royal Navy warship to bear the name ‘Glasgow’, and was one of the last British warships to be built of wood. She was launched in 1861, and although of wooden construction, was armed with breech-loading rifled guns. For propulsion, HMS Glasgow was fitted with a full suite of sails as well as her engines. Her only deployment was as the Royal Navy’s flagship in the East Indies in 1871-1875.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.