Three Vials of Intradermal BCG Vaccine

Made:
1994 in Leatherhead
maker:
Evans Medical Limited

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Vials of freeze-dried intradermal BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guerin) vaccine, 3 of 10, each providing ten 0.1ml doses when hydrated, for protection against tuberculosis, by Evans Medical Ltd., Leatherhead, Surrey, England, 1994.

The BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guérin) vaccine is used to protect against tuberculosis. The vaccine was developed by French bacteriologists Albert Calmette (1863-1933) and Camille Guérin (1872-1961) at the Pasteur Institute, Lille, France, in 1921. The vaccine was successfully used in France but did not go into widespread use until after the Second World War.

By freeze-drying the vaccines, the treatment can safely be transported over long distances and diluted when needed.

Details

Category:
Public Health & Hygiene
Object Number:
1994-135 Pt2
Materials:
aluminium (metal), glass, paper (fibre product) and plastic (unidentified)
type:
vial
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • container - receptacle
  • vessel
  • drug
credit:
Evans Medical Limited