Stereotaxic Dog frame, London, England, 1966

Made:
1966 in London

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Stereotaxic Dog frame built for Professor Widdicombe by Edgar Schuster at St. George's Medical School, 1966.

Dogs were immobilised during surgical procedures, usually to the brain, using this unit. This avoided unnecessarily damaging the surrounding tissue. The unit is called stereotaxic (or stereotactic) apparatus. The steel frame was built for respiratory physiologist Professor Widdicombe at St. George’s Medical School, London.

Animal experimentation for scientific and medical research remains controversial. One main argument is whether the benefits of animal testing outweigh the moral issues. The first organised anti-animal experiments or anti-vivisection movements were at their peak in Britain in the 1870s and 1880s. They led to tighter restrictions on who could perform experiments.

Details

Category:
Laboratory Medicine
Object Number:
1997-1678
type:
stereotaxic apparatus
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
  • surgical equipment
credit:
St Thomas's Hospital