Model of a hand-power rock drill with 2 drills and spanner.
This is a model of a hand-powered rock-drill which is based on one patented by T. B. Jordan and J. Darlington in 1866. It required no external power source, being driven by two operators revolving the winch handles. The hammer-blow of the drill bit was provided by air compressed by a piston working within a cylinder positioned above it. A cam on the flywheel shaft lifted the piston rod and also rotated the drill. The model, made to a scale of 1:3, was probably made by Jordan, Son and Meihe, of Queen Victoria Street, City of London, who were makers of the prototype. They lent it to the Geological Museum in 1879 and, in 1895, it was transferred to the Science Museum.
- Mining & Ore Dressing
- Object Number:
- Geological Museum, Jermyn Street
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.