Compound Microscope used by Joseph Jackson Lister

Made:
1830-1850 in Europe

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Microscope, English, 1830-1850, given to Lord Lister by his father J.J. Lister in 1849

This compound microscope was bought by Joseph Jackson Lister (1786-1869), a wine merchant and microscopist. It is said that this is the third microscope he owned.

J J Lister designed and made significantly improved microscope lenses free from achromatic aberration (where objects appear coloured) and spherical aberration (where all objects appear as if circular). For his achievement he was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1832. J J Lister was also the father of Joseph Lister (1827-1912), the pioneer of antisepsis and it is possible that his son also used this microscope.

Details

Category:
Microscopy (Wellcome)
Collection:
Sir Henry Wellcome's Museum Collection
Object Number:
A604181 Pt1
Materials:
brass (copper, zinc alloy)
type:
compound microscope
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
  • optical instrument
  • microscope
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
  • optical instrument
  • microscope
credit:
Loan, Wellcome Trust