The first Wheeler and Wilson sewing machine, 1866.

Made:
1866 in Bridgeport

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Wheeler and Wilson lock stitch sewing machine, type No.1. The first machine with rotary hook and four motion feed patented by Allen B. Wilson 1851 and 1854, and made in 1866.

Details

Category:
Textiles Machinery
Object Number:
1950-158
Materials:
cast iron, nickel and steel
type:
lock stitch sewing machine, domestic sewing machines and stitching
credit:
Miss. M.M. Haslam.