Copy of Samuel Crompton's mule spinning frame, by Dobson and Barlow, Bolton, Manchester, England. The original, from which this copy was made, was invented by Crompton and used by him between 1800-1815. It is preserved at Chadwick Museum (now Bolton Museum & Art Gallery).
The original, from which this copy was made, was used by Crompton between 1800-1815 and is preserved at Chadwick Museum (now Bolton Museum & Art Gallery). This hybrid spinning machine combined Arkwright's method of drawing out the roving (twisted cotton fibres) by rollers and Hargreaves's reciprocating carriage. It was invented by Samuel Crompton (1753-1827) of Bolton, Lancashire, between 1772 and 1779 for the purpose of spinning the fine yarn suitable for weft in weaving. The original machine, of which this is a replica, had about 144 spindles, but this copy has at some time been cut down to a convenient size for exhibition purposes.
- Textiles Machinery
- Object Number:
- spinning wheels
- Dobson and Barlow Limited
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.