Drilling machine for hand or power automatic feed
- c. 1840
Drilling machine for hand or power automatic feed By Gaskell and Nasmyth.
This machine was formerly the property of James Nasmyth and resembles the larger power drills constructed by the firm of Nasmyth, Gaskell & Co. about 1840 onwards. This was used in J. Nasmyths workshop at his home after his retirement from business and may have been used to build the astronomical instruments used in his studies on astronomy, a pastime in which he became World renowned. The framing consists of a cast iron base with two columns screwed into the base supporting a cross beam into which they are screwed. The cross girder carries the drill spindle and its driving and feeding arrangements. The rotational power is transmitted thriugh bevel gears to the drill spindle, which is fed downwards by a central screw supported by a cross head carried on two small wrought iron columns. The screw is fitted with a gear that meshes with a similar gear on a vertical spindle which at its lower end has a 2 1/4" dia. ratchet wheel of 30 teeth with a pawl so that it indexes one tooth per revolution of the drill shaft. The pushing motion of the pawl is derived from the fact that it is linked to an eccentric cam on the drill just above the drill chuck. The throw of the cam is about 3/4". The screw could also be fed manually by a winch handle fitting into the square flats on top of the screw.