Artificial above knee prosthesis with wooden socket

Made:
c. 1921 in England
maker:
Hanger Orthopaedic Group, Inc

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Metal left above knee prosthesis with wooden socket, repaired internally with certalmid. Rigid pelvic band, central knee control with knee lock (just above front of knee). Metal shin with strip riveting. Wooden foot with ankle and toe joints. Made by Hanger, 1921.

The introduction of mechanised weaponry meant that tens of thousands of servicemen, on both sides, lost limbs in the First World War. British soldiers were entitled to free artificial limbs, but supply systems were quickly overwhelmed and amputees received varying standards of prostheses. Most ‘first issue’ legs were wooden, later replaced by lighter articulated designs such as this metal leg

Details

Category:
Orthopaedics
Object Number:
1999-435
type:
prosthetic leg
credit:
Richmond Twickenham and Roehampton Healthcare NHS Trust