Light metal left "Alclad" above knee prosthesis, with metal shin (strip riveted back and front), Central knee control mechanism and with a standard foot, ankle and toe joints. Original catalogue suggests made by Hanger in 1924, but leg is stamped 1940. Weight: 5 lbs, 2.2 kg.
The knee, ankle, foot and toe joints of this artificial limb all move and are flexible. Made from metal with a rubber foot and leather strapping to keep the leg in place, the prosthesis was made for someone who had their left leg amputated above the knee as a result of their service during the First World War. Most amputee soldiers from this conflict would have initially been issued with mainly wooden limbs. But wartime and post-war research saw the development of lighter metal limbs – which were then preferred over the heavier wooden ones.
The leg was made by an American limb making company known as Hanger. Hanger was founded by James Edward Hanger, one of the first soldiers to undergo an amputation during the American Civil War (1861-1865). Hanger began to design his own prosthetic limbs and founded the company that still exists today.
- Object Number:
overall (fully extended): 930 mm x 320 mm x 186 mm, 2.2 kg
- artificial leg
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- artificial limb
- Richmond Twickenham and Roehampton Healthcare NHS Trust
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.