Artificial arms, Roehampton, England, 1957-1967

Made:
1957-1967 in Roehampton
maker:
Steeper

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Pair of light-weight arms for a young child with congenital bilateral above elbow stumps. Plastic sockets with friction elbow units, allowing rotation and elbow flexion. These movements may be freed or locked by loosening or tightening the side screw. A pair of dolls hands have been attached. Made by Steeper c.1962.

A young child with no lower arms used this pair of lightweight arms. It consists of plastic sockets attached to rotating and flexing elbow units. These are freed or locked by loosening or tightening a side screw. A pair of dolls hands is also attached.

Queen Mary's Hospital in Roehampton, Surrey, is part of the NHS Trust who donated this prosthesis. The hospital was established as a specialist centre for fitting prosthetic limbs during the First World War. It is still an important centre for limb manufacture and fitting. It was made by artificial limb manufacturing company Steeper during the early 1960s.

Details

Category:
Orthopaedics
Object Number:
1999-567
Materials:
fibreglass, metal, plastic and textile
type:
artificial arm
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
  • prosthesis
  • artificial limb
credit:
Richmond Twickenham and Roehampton Healthcare NHS Trust