Grasshopper Steam Engine
Grasshopper steam engine, single cylinder 10 1/2" diameter by 15" stroke, by Easton Amos and Sons, London, 1861
This compact engine was purchased for use pumping water for fountains at the Royal Horticultural Society's Wisley gardens in 1861. In 1891, it was moved to the Royal Albert Hall, London, where it drove a borehole pump before begin retired in 1921 and presented to the museum. The round section flywheel rim was popular throughout the 1860s, and this small, self-contained engine must have been a stock article for Easton and Amos, selling in some numbers.