Half set of gold electrodes made at the Burden Neurological Institute in 1962. The electrodes were implanted in the right frontal lobe of a patient. There are two sheaves each of 4 electrodes (light gold in colour) and 4 sheaves of 3 electrodes (dark gold). Stitches anchor the bundle to the scalp. Cotton tape on the socket was tied to a stainless steel wire looped to another loop through the skull to prevented the patient pulling the wires out.
This half set of gold electrodes was used in neurological experiments. Areas of the brain were stimulated and responses recorded by placing the electrodes onto its exposed surface. This electrode was implanted in the right frontal lobe of a patient. It was part of a wider arrangement of electrodes. These consisted of two sheaves of four electrodes (light gold in colour) and four sheaves of three electrodes (dark gold). Stitches anchored the bundle to the scalp. Stainless steel wire looped through the skull prevented the patient pulling these electrodes out.
The set was made at the Burden Neurological Institute in Bristol. The institute was founded by the Reverend Burden in 1939. It is an independently-funded research unit. It specialises in the human nervous system and human neurological disorders.