Box of material for occupational therapy, comprises equipment for button making and covering, used at the Brighton County Borough Asylum/St. Francis Psychiatric Hospital, 1900-1960.
During the 1800s, many institutions for patients with mental illnesses used manual labour such as gardening or laundry work as a form of therapy. In the 20th century, institutions began using more expressive therapies such as arts and crafts as rehabilitation. This box contains equipment for button-making and covering. It was used for occupational therapy activities at the Brighton County Borough Asylum from 1900-1960. This later became St. Francis Psychiatric Hospital.
- Psychology, Psychiatry & Anthropometry
- Object Number:
- Princess Royal Hospital
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.