Cast iron grave marker, for patient's grave at the Sussex Lunatic Asylum/Brighton County Borough Asylum, 1859-1939.
Simple iron crosses like this marked the graves of former patients of St Audry’s Hospital. They were buried in the hospital’s grounds in Melton, England. Patients may have spent most of their lives as inmates and then died in the institution. They were marked in the hospital cemetery with a number, not their name.
The hospital opened in 1765. It was originally a workhouse for the poor. It became the Suffolk County Lunatic Asylum in 1827. The hospital was also known as St Audry’s Hospital for Mental Diseases from 1917. The hospital and the Asylum Museum attached to it closed in the late 1980s. The grave markers were removed when the hospital grounds were redeveloped as a golf course.
- Psychology, Psychiatry & Anthropometry
- Object Number:
- grave marker
- Princess Royal Hospital
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.