Dewar flask with wooden transit container marked 'B.M.H.' (Brighton Mental Hospital), used for transporting early supplies of penicillin, 1943-1948.
It looks like something for carrying your lunch in, but this flask transported early penicillin supplies at the Brighton Mental Hospital pathology laboratories. The hospital doubled as a sanatorium for treating tuberculosis patients and as a mental hospital. This was not unusual for the time as it was thought that the clean sea air of the south coast was good for a number of mental and physical ailments. The double-walled metal flask with cork stopper and screw top lid is called a Dewar flask. It is named after its inventor, the Scottish chemist and physicist Sir James Dewar (1842–1923). Dewar flasks are designed to hold liquid at low temperatures.
- Object Number:
- dewar flask
- Princess Royal Hospital
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.