Woven copper lightning conductor. Made by James Spratt in London around 1860.
Benjamin Franklin invented the lightning rod in 1749. In 1860, electrician James Spratt patented his innovative woven copper lightning conductor which represented an advance in safety.
Spratt is perhaps better known as the first manufacturer of dog biscuits. He employed Charles Cruft, who went on to establish Crufts, the world-famous show for dog breeders.