Pair of steel dividers by W and C Wynn, Suffolk Street, Exeter Row, 1787-1899.
The firm of William & Cornelius Wynn was founded in 1787 as a steel ‘toy’ manufacturer, later producing edge tools also. It later became W & C Wynn & Co. These dividers would probably have been used by a carpenter or possibly a stone mason for marking out arcs and circles on the workpiece. They were also known as compasses by these workmen.
- Object Number:
- drawing instruments
- Thomas H. Court
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.