The Leclanché battery was introduced by Georges Leclanché (1839-1882) in France in 1868. This example was made by the London firm of Woodhouse and Rawson in 1887. Leclanché batteries in glass jars very much like this remained on sale until the 1960s. They were use at different times for telephones, electric bells and radio receivers. The Leclanché battery contains a liquid, but it was the fore-runner of the dry batteries used throughout most of the 20th century. They used the same components but the liquid was made into a paste and the battery was put into a sealed case.
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Object Number:
- primary battery
- Woodhouse and Rawson
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.