The Hearts of Oak Society

Made:
1860-1879 in London
printer:
McCorquodale and Company Limited
The Hearts of Oak Society The Hearts of Oak Society The Hearts of Oak Society (print; chromolithograph)

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

The Hearts of Oak Society
Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

The Hearts of Oak Society
Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum, London

Print. [Membership Certificate] The Hearts of Oak Society / [A J Waudby]. - [London:] McCorquodale & Co Ltd, Chromo Litho, Cardington Street NW. - n.d. [c1869]. - Chromolithograph, 85x63.5cm. - Trade Union emblem; Friendly Society instituted and enrolled 1842 June 20, the first FS to embrace purely financial not social or craft heraldic functions; certificate signed to Mr Thomas Scriven 1894 August 2. - Vignette scenes centred around the 131-guns warship 'Hearts of Oak' between small tug paddlesteamers, the oak representing security. Jack Tar sailors and travellers 'homeward bound' on deck in scene below. Other vignettes of old oak houses 1598, furniture 1617. At top: figures of Britannia. Agriculture, Commerce. Bottom: King Neptune, Father Thames flank emblem of felled oak log and axes

Details

Category:
Art
Object Number:
1987-1198
Measurements:
overall: 850 mm x 635 mm
type:
print and chromolithograph
credit:
Phillips