Original Cruickshank's galvanic "Trough" or battery, made by R & G Knight, London, England, 1801-1838.
This battery was designed in 1800 by William Cruickshank, as an improvement of Alessandro Volta's original battery design. It consists of 50 copper-zinc pairs mounted inside a wooden box in cells. Each cell is then filled with a salt solution or dilute acid. Batteries similar to this were used in the first electric telegraphs.