Poison bottle, empty, used for anaesthetic chloroform, prepared by Philip Harris and Co. Ltd., Birmingham, 1959
Liquid chloroform was used as an anaesthetic from the late 1840s until the 1950s. The liquid would be vaporised by machine and inhaled by the patient through a face mask. Once the potentially toxic nature of chloroform had become apparent, it was used far more cautiously. The ridges on this glass bottle indicate that its contents are poisonous. The chloroform that was once stored in this bottle was prepared by Philip Harris & Co Ltd.
- Object Number:
- furnishing and equipment
- container - receptacle
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.