Embalming syringe set, made by Laundy, St.Thomas's St., Southwark, London, English, 1790-1820
The embalming set consists of two brass syringes and accompanying accessories. It sits in a purple velvet lined wooden box. It was made between 1790 and 1820 by London-based surgical instrument makers, Laundy. Embalming syringes preserved the body by injecting chemicals such as arsenic or zinc chloride, normally via the arteries. This delayed inevitable decomposition of the body rather than halting it.
At this time, embalming preserved cadavers (bodies) for anatomical teaching. Today, embalming in some religious traditions preserves the body so it remains presentable during the funeral service.
- Anatomy & Pathology
- Object Number:
overall (closed): 101 mm x 439 mm x 174 mm, 4.76 kg
overall (open): 252 mm x 439 mm x 217 mm, 4.76 kg
- embalming syringe set
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- medical instrument
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.