Dispensing pot of Blue Pills, England, 1880-1930
Earthenware dispensing pot, tin-glazed, with original paper cover and contents, 'blue pills' by T.C. Lester, 39, Prospect-street, corner of Spencer-street, Hull, 1880 to 1930
‘Blue Pills’ were found in many pharmacies and dispensing chemists throughout the 1800s and beyond. Used for a range of ailments as varied as constipation, tuberculosis and toothache, Blue Pills contain mercury and were potentially toxic, slowly poisoning the patient. The mercury content also hints at one of their other uses – as a medicine against the venereal disease, syphilis.
Pills and treatments were often placed in earthenware dispensing pots like this one, which were covered with brown paper or vellum and tied with string. This example has the name of the pharmacist, “T C Lester”, and his address painted on to the side.
- Medical Ceramic-ware
- Object Number:
- furnishing and equipment
- container - receptacle
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.