Earthenware dispensing pot, tin-glazed, English, 1670-1760
Dispensing pots were used to hold ointments, pills and medical treatments, although they could also be used for other materials such as cosmetics. A pharmacist or apothecary would make up a medicine and put it in a pot for the customer to take away. The contents were usually protected by a paper cover secured with string.
This dispensing pot has the letters “T W” marked either side of a Tudor rose. These letters may refer to the maker or an owner.