Two child's adjustable quadruped walking aids, with shafts branching into four rubberised feet, manufactured by Ellis, Son & Paramore, Sheffield, from the Lord Mayor Treloar Orthopaedic Hospital, Alton, Hampshire, England, 1970-1985
To be used by a child, this pair of walking aids was collected from the Lord Mayor Treloar Orthopaedic Hospital in Alton, Hampshire, England. Founded in 1908, the hospital originally specialised in treating children with polio and tuberculosis of the bone. These diseases can cause the leg bones to develop incorrectly, so assistance is needed when walking. The hospital closed in 1996. Made from metal with rubber on each of the four feet, the walking aids were produced by Ellis, Son & Paramore.