Blue and white pharmacy vase used for rose syrup, from Faenza or Venice with coat of arms, Italy, 1620-1720
The abbreviated inscription Sciroppo Rosato Solutivo translates into English as “Laxative Syrup of Roses”. It was made from 5 lb (2.6 kg) of pale roses and 4 lb (2.6 kg) of sugar, which were heated to a syrupy consistency. This syrup was then used to treat fevers and purge bile from the body by acting as a laxative. The mixture was probably taken as a drink or by the spoonful and would have been very sweet.