One of eighty-six early incandescent lamps. Carbon
One of eighty-six early incandescent lamps. Carbon filament lamp, two M-shaped filaments, no filament supports. Four platinum lead in wires pass through same quick seal, clear spherical bulb. Top pip. Bayonet cap of insulating material encircled by brass band. Flange on cap near glass. Two elliptical brass contact plates. Robertson etched onglass. 280-8 D.E. etched on glass (volts-c.p.) There are only two electrical contacts the filaments are either inseries or parallel, probably series given the light voltage.
The Robertson Company began to manufacture lamps in 1895. J. C. Robertson had begun working on electric lamps with St. George Lane Fox and the factory used by the company had originally belonged to the Brush Company, which had once manufactured Lane Fox lamps. Like other companies, the Robertson Company made a wide range of lamps.
- Object Number:
- carbon filament lamp
- Institution of Electronical Engineering
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.