Underground oil-filled telegraph cable system, 1880
Brooks underground system cable, specimen mounted on board with description
In the 1870s an American, David Brooks, developed a method of insulating copper telegraph wires with manilla hemp strands, laid underground in a pipe filled with mineral oil. An experimental cable of 30 wires in a wrought iron pipe was installed in London between Westminster Bridge Road and Clapham Junction in 1880 and lasted in service until 1889. This cable specimen on its display board is likely to have been made up at the time to publicise the system. The text is an extract from a technical description of the cable system published in the Journal of the Society of Telegraph Engineers.
- Object Number:
- BT Group plc
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.