Double-sided dummy single-needle telegraph used for training operators, made by the General Post Office, British, 1870-1930.
After 1870, when the British telegraph companies were nationalised, needle telegraphs in Britain were standardised on the Morse code, where a movement of the needle to the left indicated a dot, and, to the right, a dash. This simple instrument was developed to train and test operators in the code and uses simple mechanical linkages to work the needles. The student operator would sit on one side of the instrument, while the teacher would sit on the other.
- Object Number:
- component - object
- Donated by BT Heritage and Archives
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.