- Watt, James
1 Brass screw 12” x ¼”, plain piece 1¼” long one end, and screwed into a turned piece of boxwood the other end
This item is part of the contents of the workshop that Scottish engineer James Watt developed at his home, Heathfield, at Handsworth, Birmingham, from c.1795 through to his death in 1819. Although Watt is best known for his work on the steam engine, his workshop contains a wide variety of objects from many different projects, from chemistry to sculpture-copying.
The description of the item was written by Edward Collins, the land agent responsible for Heathfield when the workshop was given to the Science Museum in 1924. Collins could not always identify what he was looking at, but always described what he saw clearly. This has allowed his descriptions to form the basis of subsequent research.
This is a long fine lead screw in brass, one end turned down to a conical section and drilled across, to receive a handle or wheel that was secured by a pin. Near the other end a bobbin of boxwood is seized fast on the thread.