Flute foot-joint end by James Watt, Glasgow, Scotland, 1758-1769
James Watt eventually employed 16 people to run a shop in Glasgow making numerous items. In spite of saying that music was ‘the source of idleness’, he built instruments for sale, including flutes, an organ and a guitar for the wife of one of his early business partners, John Roebuck. This component of a flute is likely to have been made on the suite of flute-making tools which survives in Watt's workshop.
- James Watt's Garret Workshop
- Object Number:
- Major J.M. Gibson-Watt
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.