A photograph entitled 'Kiosk et Mosquee de Tophanna', taken by James Robertson, c. 1855. The Tophana area in Istanbul was the arsenal and cannon foundry for the Ottoman Empire.
Robertson established a photographic studio in Istanbul in 1854, and began working with Felice Beato (1832-1909). In 1855 the pair travelled to Balaklava to document the Crimean War.
- Object Number:
- visual and verbal communication
- The National Media Museum, Bradford
- National Science and Media Museum
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.