Part-rack, marked R5 B15, of group selectors No 7009, for Western Electric No 7-A machine switching system, made by Bell Telephone Manufacturing Company SA, Antwerp, Belgium, 1920-1940.
In the early 1900s, six British towns and cities established municipal telephone services. Five of these proved to be commercial failures, and were bought out by the National Telephone Company or the Post Office. The sixth, in Kingston upon Hull, prospered. Being independent of the Post Office, Hull was free to choose Western Electric rotary for its automation programme, from 1922, rather than Strowger. This switching equipment was used at the Newland Exchange in Hull until 1975. Hull remains the only UK city not to be served by BT. Instead telephone services are provided by the KCOM Group.
- Object Number:
- electric switch
- component - object
- Donated by the City of Kingston upon Hull (Telephone Department)
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.