Lens for Williamson 35mm cine camera.
James A. Williamson (8 November 1855 – 18 August 1933) was a Scottish photographer and a key member of the loose association of early film pioneers dubbed the Brighton School. He trained to be a master chemist and moved to London in 1868, where he was an apprentice to a pharmacist. He was also a keen amateur photographer who sold photographic apparatus and chemical supplies in his own shop and became an agent for Kodak.
In 1886, he moved his chemist's and photographic business to 144 Church Road, Hove and formed friendships with fellow pioneers Esmé Collings, William Friese-Greene and George Albert Smith, among others, for whom he supplied chemicals and processed films. Williamson, who initially purchased and adapted an apparatus for local showings of Smith's films was, with assistance from the engineer Alfred Darling, able to create his own home-made filming apparatus and begin making films. He later formed the Williamson Kinematographic Company, whch continued after his death in 1933.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.