Replica handle for Lumiere Cinematographe (1975-91). Made by Science Museum about 1970.
The Cinematographe, invented by Auguste (1862-1954) and Louis (1864-1948) Lumiere, was a combined camera, projector and printer. The film ran from the top spool holder through the projector to a box in the stand below. With a similar Cinematographe, the Lumiere brothers gave the first cinema show at the Grand Cafe on the Boulevard des Capucines in Paris, France, on 28 December 1895.