Measuring machine, made by Joseph Whitworth & Company, c.1855; presented to Craven Brothers by Sir W.G. Armstrong Whitworth in 1928.
This is the Museum’s earliest example of a Whitworth workshop measuring machine and is thought to have been made around 1855. It uses the line measurement system. The operator turns the wheels to adjust the space between the two heads, reading the size of the space from lines engraved on the wheels. It was given to the Museum by Staveley Machine Tools of Stockport in 1971. Staveley took over the Whitworth Armstrong company in 1928.
- Hand and Machine Tools
- Object Number:
- measuring device
- Gift of Staveley Machine Tools Ltd
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.