Sluice gate from Longdendale reservoirs

Made:
c1851

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

One of three sluice gates installed at Crowden Brook, c.1850, during the development of Manchester's water supply reservoirs in the Longdendale Valley.

In 1848 the Manchester Corporation began an engineering project to bring much needed clean water into the city. Led by engineer John Frederick LaTrobe Bateman, they constructed a series of reservoirs in the Longdendale Valley in the Peak District. These reservoirs collected 5,985 million gallons of water that flowed off the Pennines. This water then travelled about 18 miles into Manchester, solely using gravity.

This sluice gate was designed by Bateman. It was installed at Crowden Brook during the first phase of construction of the Longdendale reservoir scheme. The rotating cylinder or ‘tumbler’ controls the flow of water into the reservoir system. This giant sluice gate was one of three that stood side by side and was still in full working order when it was decommissioned in 1971, about 120 years after its installation.

Details

Category:
Water Supply & Sanitation
Object Number:
Y2007.37
type:
sluice gate

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

View manifest in IIIF viewer

Add to Animal Crossing Art Generator

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.