Parts of Kymograph

Made:
1925-1935 in London
maker:
C F Palmer (London) Limited

Parts of Kymograph, by C.F. Palmer and Co., London, 1925-1935, used by Sir Henry Dale, 1930-1940, Box 2 of 4.

The kymograph is a classic tool of laboratory research invented by the German physiologist Carl Ludwig (1816-1895) in 1847. One of its earliest uses was to measure the blood pressure during physiological experiments. A cannula connected to a U-shaped tube filled with mercury was inserted into the artery of an animal. On top of the mercury was a float attached to a pen. As the blood pulsated, the pen recorded the movement on smoked paper wrapped around the metal drum.

The kymograph is said to have transformed experimental physiology as the graphs produced allowed physiologists to see blood pressure on paper, giving them a permanent record of the experiment. The kymograph was later adapted to record muscle contractions and respiration. This kymograph was used by Sir Henry Dale (1875-1968), a English physiologist and pharmacologist.

Details

Category:
Laboratory Medicine
Object Number:
A602430/3
Materials:
apparatus, brass, apparatus, iron, table, wood
Measurements:
large drum: 232 mm,
table: 762 mm
beam: 1200 mm
type:
kymograph
credit:
Medical Research Council

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.