4 keys to the Clockmakers Company Chest.
From 1631 until 1817 the Company kept its written records and its plate in one of two oak chests. These keys are for the second chest used from 1766. The chest has four different locks. The Master and Warden each held a different key, thus ensuring that no individual could open the chest without the others being present.
Clockmakers' Museum No. 936
- Object Number:
- Lent by the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.