Elm section of a cylindrical pipe, originally part of an underground water pipe laid in the west of London during the 15th or 16th century.
This water pipe was found during an archaeological excavation in West London in 1902. The pipe originally formed part of an underground network supplying parts of London with water.
Made from elm and measuring 370 mm in diameter and weighing over 8 kg, this type of wood was a popular choice for water pipes as unlike other woods it does not decay when kept permanently wet. Elm pipes were used until the 1700s.
- Classical & Medieval Medicine
- Object Number:
- water pipe
- pipe - conduit
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.