Engraved silver 'Petit' cup
Engraved silver-gilt cup with replaced lid. It is inscribed ‘Dono datum Horologicorum Societati a Guillielmo Petit, 1655’.
This cup has remained in the hands of the Clockmakers’ Company since June 2nd 1656, and was donated by William Petit. The Court Minutes of the period record: ‘This Court day Mr. Grinkin did deliver to the Master, John Nicasius, one Silver Boale being the gift of Mr. Guiliam Petit.’
Petit served as journeyman to David Ramsay in Tuttle Street. He later worked in Westminster.
Clockmakers' Museum No. 1356.
- Object Number:
lid: 90 mm x 86 mm x 86 mm,
cup: 236 mm x 113 mm x 113 mm,
- furnishing and equipment
- container - receptacle
- drinking vessel
- Lent by the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.